Gonna Rip You A New One

Ok kids, today's post is two stories in one! Both with the same title... see above.


First story: This past weekend, Frankie and I went to Walmart. It was going to be our last shopping outing for about a week (see Story #2 for the reason why) and I wanted to just tool around Walmart with him.

Even before I got inside the store, I saw trouble a-comin'. It came in the form of a Walmart Greeter With A Walmart Smock. I was sitting in my chair in the entrance changing my sunglasses, when I saw out of the corner of my eye this Walmart Greeter With A Walmart Smock walking quickly and purposefully up to me. I sensed trouble, kemosabe.

Walmart Greeter With A Walmart Smock: "We only allow Seeing Eye Dogs in here. Is that a Seeing Eye Dog?"

WHAT?! Walmart is one of the few stores that has a big sign on the outside doors that says "Service Dogs Welcome", even though legally, they are "welcome" anywhere I'm "welcome".

Me: "No, this is a Service Dog."

Walmart Greeter With A Walmart Smock: "Well, then you cannot come in. We only allow Seeing Eye Dogs."

Me: "Who told you that?"

Walmart Greeter With A Walmart Smock: "My manager."

Me: "Ok, let's go talk to your manager."

Walmart Greeter With A Walmart Smock proceeds to quickly walk in towards an employee phone/intercom as I wheel with Frankie behind her. She turns her back to me and starts paging her manager.

Once she's done paging the manager, she keeps her back turned and will not look at me.

I, of course, proceed to engage her in conversation. In a manner where she cannot ignore me. I will not be ignored!

I begin talking about Service Dogs, the different types and the access laws regarding them. The whole time she has her arms crossed and says things like "well, I was told Seeing Eye Dogs only".

Then the manager shows up. He takes one look at me in my wheelchair, one look at Frankie, and then looks at Walmart Greeter With A Walmart Smock like "what's the problem, it's a Service Dog, big deal".

I immediately start talking first (of course!). I explain that his employee asked me an inappropriate question and was misinformed as to what the laws were regarding Service Dog access.

He, of course, agreed with me, apologized profusely and said he would talk with her immediately.

I didn't want to leave it at that. I decided to talk to her first. She was still standing there, but her arms were now uncrossed and she looked very embarrassed.

I took the time again to explain to her about the different types of Service Dogs and what question she really should have asked me ("Is that a Service Dog and does it assist you with a disability?"). She apologized very sincerely.

As I was wheeling away, I overheard her supervisor pretty much ripping her a new one. Not that he was yelling at her or ready to fire her, but more like he was telling her she could have gotten the store into a lot of trouble.

He's right, if I was a different kind of person, I could have made a pretty big stink. But that ain't me. I choose to educate rather than litigate.



Second story: Frankie's been at the vet since yesterday morning. He had to have his anal glands surgically removed. Ow. He'll be out of commission working-wise for 3-4 days and then he'll have stitches for about 2 weeks.

Barney stayed overnight at the vet with him. Not because Barney needed anything medically done, but he's there as moral support for his little brother. It was the vet's idea. I think they just all love Barney and would give any excuse to steal him from us!

Oy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!