What Can I Do?

One of the great dilemmas for the disabled population rears it's ugly head during times of national crisis. Both Hurricane Katrina and 9-11 brought this fact to light for me.

For the physically and mentally disabled, sometimes just getting through everyday life is difficult enough. Adding in the emotion of watching the non-stop television coverage of hurricane victims can make us disabled folks feel totally inadequate.

Some of us can barely help ourselves, but the emotional tug of wanting to help those in need can make us feel total despair. This, along with the feeling of "but for the grace of God go I" when watching those in wheelchairs being stranded in New Orleans (or learning that lots of wheelchair users in the Twin Towers were left in a corridor while others walked down the stairs) can also add feelings of dread and fear of the future.

The only way I can help is to donate my money. And I've done so. If you cannot do that, you can still help with your prayers. A simple, yet powerful gesture, but one that can help you feel like you are contributing as best you can.



Comments

I think you got a great heart.

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!