A Sporty Day at The Farm

Yesterday was a day for overcoming fears... and making choices.

First, about the fears.

When I was a kid, about 14-15, my best friends had horses. We rode almost every day, usually bare-back. There was one horse, Smokey, who was old and set in his ways. One day, on a rare day I used a saddle, he decided to take off at a full gallop down my street about 1/2 mile to his barn. The saddle's cinch strap broke and me and the saddle went flying. I landed on my chin, went into shock, had large bruises on my elbows and my abdomen. My neighbors came running out with blankets, my mom came running, and they all stayed with me until the ambulance came. I was rushed to St. Frances hospital, given lots of x-rays (no MRI's back then), maybe a CAT scan (?), got a bunch of stitches on my chin, and was sent home.

Of course, the old saying if you fall off a horse, you have to get right back on holds here. A week or so later, I decided to go to a professional riding stable and pay to ride. They asked "who here has riding experience?" and I stupidly said "I do". They gave me the "difficult" horse. Halfway thru the trail ride, this horse takes off at a full gallop across a field and then across a semi-busy road to get back to it's stable. I hung on for dear life the whole way.

Needless to say, I've never ridden a horse again.

That is until yesterday. It was exhilarating! I was a crip and I was being SPORTY! That's a big thing.

The first thing I had to make sure was that I could swing my leg over the horse. A week earlier, my friends Jack and Lisa tested my ability out using Jack's knee, Lisa and Rick for stability. I swung my leg over a couch. Piece of cake, slice of pie. The horse was actually that easy too. That's because Rookie stood nice and still next to the perfect-height mounting box (that's sounds oddly sexual... it's just a damn dirty box!).

I mounted my ride (oy), Jack gave me some basic instructions, we moved to the riding ring, and I rode! Slow, only walking. I did my best not to put any weight on my legs and had no problems keeping my balance in the saddle. I actually felt very comfortable! Lisa said she could see I had the old rhythm... guess it just came back naturally. That's pretty cool. (Oh, and 1/2 a Xanax didn't hurt for the nerves!)

I rode for a very short period, didn't want to over-do it. Got off and the legs were pretty wobbly, but to be expected. That night I vegged on the couch and pretty much did the same all day today. But today was a pretty dern good day, considering that yesterday I was sporty and all. Just tired, legs very weak, but no real pain to speak of. That I can deal with!

Depending on how I feel over the next couple of days, I may decide to take some private riding lessons with Jack. That way I can keep them short, reschedule if I'm having a bad day, and eventually gain enough confidence to go on a trail ride. Oh, and get confident enough not to have to rely on drugs to soothe the nerves!


Now, about the choices.

Yesterday was one of those days where I had to decide whether or not to work Willie. I decided not to for multiple reasons:
  1. it was hot in the sun.
  2. he'd get horse-poop dingle-berries on his feet.
  3. knowing him, he'd eat some horse doo. And then fart Horse-Doo-Level-Red Farts all the way home. Ew.
  4. he would have been stressed to see me from afar and not be able to be next to me. Even Rick can't get his separation whines to stop.
  5. he does need to start getting used to separation.
  6. there are loose "farm" dogs and cats up there. Couldn't run the risk of an uncontrolled interaction.
  7. selfesh reason: I wanted Rick's hands free so he could film ME being SPORTY!

These are the types of things one must consider when working a service dog. There are times when you either have to choose not to work them, or not to do the activity at all. This was an important event for me, one that I would have loved to share with Willie. But I weighed the good with the bad, the pros with the cons, and I left him home.

The good thing is when we arrived home all was quiet, there was no stress whining or barking, and Willie had peanut-butter breath. So he was busy with his treats the whole time and didn't even miss me. And that's a good thing. I think.... !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Can't we all just get along?