Ooh Ooh That Smell

There's a pet store in Austin called Zoo Keepers. It's full of some pretty exotic animals, like pygmy hedgehogs, chameleons, a sloth, spiders... ew, spiders. The store has lots and lots of smells. Great place for exposure training a service dog.

Rick and I went in there with both Frankie and Willie. Now, Willie's been in many different pet stores, and is pretty use to all the smells. But this day he would not go forward towards the back of the store. Granted, this day there was a very strong odor throughout the entire store, but apparently there was something back there he did not want to go near. I eventually coaxed him to go towards the back and as we moved, that smell got stronger. Once we got all the way to the back, there was a tall cage that looked empty. The owner came over and said that there were 4 sugar gliders hiding in the cage. Aww, they must be cute, eh? Wait, there's more.

He proceeded to tell us all about sugar gliders. Like, that smell... that's their "musk" (if that's just a "musk", then Willie's farts smell like potpourri. NOT!). And how when threatened, they can emit an even stronger smell, like a skunk. Yeah, that's my kind of pet.


He then told us that sugar gliders get very attached to one person, especially if you have only one glider. Very Attached. So attached that if you leave them alone for too long, they will self-mutilate.

Wanna know what they do?


They chew their own nuts off.


Mmmmk.

I think I'll stick with dogs that only bark when they miss me and give me kisses when I return. Better than coming home to a now ball-less rodent that's pissed off I left in the first place.

Comments

Anonymous said…
my roommate (tucker's mom) used to have suger gliders. She actually sold them to friends when she decided she wanted a dog. The were REALLY weird.

LL

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Can't we all just get along?