Conversation Whore

When you work a Service Dog, there's one thing you must be prepared for. Conversations. Questions. Smiles. Nods. All acknowledging that yes, you are different.

If you don't want to be reminded of this, maybe an SDog isn't for you. If you don't like talking about the same topics over and over again, think twice about working a dog.

Here's some topics and questions that get repeatedly asked:
  • How old is your dog?
  • How long have you had him?
  • Is he a boy or a girl?
  • What breed is he?
  • What does he do for you?
  • What's wrong with you? (Note, not "What the HECK is wrong with you?")
  • Do you get to keep him when he retires?
  • Does he ever get to be a "real" dog?
  • Is that a Seeing Eye/Guide Dog?
  • How long does it take to train them?
I don't mind answering the same questions over and over. Heck, I've experienced the alternative when not working a dog. I've experienced the look of fear, the look of sympathy, or simply the look right over my head as if I'm not even there.

I'll take the conversations any day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Can't we all just get along?