Bond, James Bond.

Right now, Rick (the hubby) is Frankie's main trainer. (I'm now participating more because I'm doing the retrieval work and both Rick & I are doing wheelchair work.) Because of this, Frankie is VERY attached to Rick. If I'm talking to Frankie, holding his attention, and Rick walks into the room... it's as if The Pope just entered. All bow-wow down to Pope Richard the First.

So, there will have to come a time when we transition Frankie from Rick to me. I'll be doing what some guide dog orgs do. For one month, I will be Frankie's sole provider of food, love, attention, petting, everything. Rick will not only have to ignore Frankie entirely, but he will also attempt to form a closer bond with Willie. He'll take Willie to work a few days a week, giving Frankie and I a chance to connect without Willie hogging him. This will hopefully prevent Willie's separation anxiety when I start leaving the house with Frankie and without him. Waah!

I'm looking forward to this! I'll be sleeping with Frankie in the guest bedroom, just he and I. Only one aspect I'm not thrilled about and that's the morning feedings. Guess I'll just have to become a morning person for a month. Oy.

I will be attempting to work 2 service dogs eventually, alternating between them. Because Willie's hip surgery seems to have extended his "working life", he's just simply not ready to retire yet. And I'm not ready to retire him.

It will be one dog at a time though. No dog packs here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!