Miracle

When you work a service dog, one of the things you have to be prepared for are all the questions (I talked about these questions here). There are days when you may go out thinking "I hope no one talks to me, I'm not in the mood". But someday someone may approach you who may change your life.

JoJo and I were sitting near the large entry doors of a KMart in Vermont, waiting for the hubby who was at the returns counter. A woman and her daughter (approx 15 yrs old) approached me. The woman started asking me the usual litany of questions (what's her name, how old is she...). But I soon realized that she had tears in her eyes.

Seeing that she was starting to get emotional, her daughter stepped in. She was a very mature 15 year old. Together, both started to explain to me why the mother was getting so emotional.

About 15 years ago, the mother's eyesight had started to deteriorate. Docs at first were perplexed, but she was soon diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor pressing on the optic nerve. The tumor was benign, and appeared not to be growing quickly, but the docs felt there was no treatment for her.

Thru the insistence of her family, she applied for and received a guide dog. But by the time she got the dog, she was completely blind.

This dog was a godsend for her. He was a golden retriever and he became her constant companion. He helped her "see" but he also helped her cope. He quickly became a member of the family.

This dog worked for her for many years, but he succumbed to cancer after about 10 years of service and passed.

Soon after he died, her vision started miraculously returning. Very slowly, it started going from black to blur to clear. Doctors were astonished to see a slow reduction in the size of her tumor. Over time, her vision became almost completely normal.

But she never got a chance to see her wonderful guide dog. She had, of course, seen photographs, but always regretted he died so young. If he had lived the "normal" lifespan of a retriever, she would have been able to see him.


Needless to say, my standing rule of "no petting" was thrown out the window that day. I let both her and her daughter smooch on JoJo all they wanted, right there in the middle of KMart.

If I had made myself unapproachable that day, I never would have met this wonderful woman and her daughter. Now, whenever I go out and I don't feel so great, I keep that in mind and talk to anyone who has a question. You never know who you're gonna meet.

Comments

What an amazing experience that woman had - it was truly a miracle! It's almost as if her dog absorbed her cancer and took it with him.

I've always seen animals such as dogs and cats as more than companions. They are like guardian angels too.
You remember that song 'From a distance...God is watching us."

Open your heart
even if your eyes are closed.
And you will welcome angels God sent to be your guide.
Karama said…
What a great blog! Thanks for sharing. I did a post on service dogs late last year. Hope you like it!

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!