Training Tip redux - No Barking

Last night around 2 a.m., I heard a dog barking in the far off distance. It didn't bother me because it was so far away, but I really felt for any neighbors that live next-door to that inconsiderate asshole neighbor. What a jerk.

So, for those of you that may live next to an a-hole with dogs that bark into the night, I decided to repost this training tip.

Good luck!

UNWANTED BARKING

Granted, all dogs bark. A lot of us appreciate the guard-dog in our pups, even if it is just barking at the UPS guy. But unwanted barking is a nuisance, for us and our neighbors. This traning technique can actually be used for training a neighbor's dog to stop barking.


THE STEPS:
  • Unwanted barking occurs
  • Shake the can hard and yell "NO BARKING!!"
  • When barking stops, praise the dog "good no barking".
Pretty simple, eh?

I've used this technique to train my neighbor's dogs thru the privacy fence. They can't see me and I can't see them, but I can sure hear them. I have a neighbor that leaves their dog out all day, rain or shine, hot (Texas hot) or cold.


To train the neighbor's dog, if you have a non-see-thru-type fence, make a slight change when first starting this training:
  • Unwanted barking occurs
  • Throw can at fence, HARD
  • Yell "NO BARKING" but time it with when the can hits the fence
  • Keep quiet, don't let the dog know you're there
If the dog can see you, try doing the first method from an open window or from behind a tree.

Remember, always associate a command with the can shake. Eventually, you can use just the command or just a small shake of a can if handy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!