Woman Spends Month in Kennel for Shelter

Oct 2, 8:45 PM (ET)

MARION, Ind. (AP) - A woman who spent 30 days living in a 4-by-7-foot kennel to raise money for an animal shelter emerged after collecting more than $8,000.

Cheryl Walker, 42, a member of the Marion-Grant County Humane Society board of volunteers, came out of the kennel Sunday after raising $8,162 to finance a new shelter.

She said she hopes people will still donate as her goal is $3 million, which she said she believes can be raised.

"I'm so happy to be home," she said Monday from her home. "But I so miss my kennelmates. I was crying when I left."

She said she wanted to bring attention to the area needing a new shelter. During her stay in the kennel, 110 animals were adopted or rescued from the shelter, which is a high number, she said.

She said gained a greater appreciation for the work of humane society staff members during her stay.

"I have such a respect for the job that they do, and in here it is not just about cleaning kennels."


Filed under:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!