As promised, an explanation

I know I haven't written in this blog in quite a while. For those of you who've been asking, I'm ok. My health has been doing it's usual ups and downs, but I'm still alive and kicking.

This has been my dilemma: I've always prided myself on how well I've dealt with my disability. Granted, my symptoms came on slowly over many years, giving me ample time to acclimate and deal. But I've never been one to chide "woe is me, I'm a sad crip".

But I found that writing in this blog caused me to think about my life and my disability more than I ever had before. I had to think about how it effected me and those around me, and then write about it. I had to come to terms with my feelings about access, coping, public perception, and daily struggles in order to write articles for this blog.

So I started to think, do I really want to dwell on my disability, or do I just want to live life like I have been all these years. Not necessarily in denial, but clearly thinking of myself as physically normal when I am obviously far from it.

So I struggled with whether or not to continue this blog.

But then I realized that perhaps this is what this blog was meant to do. Perhaps it's time for me to articulate feelings that I've never expressed. Not only for me and my psyche., but for others who just don't have the wherewithal to do speak up themselves.

So, with all that, I'm back. I hope that the articles in this blog continue to educate, inspire and enlighten. Or at least just give you a good laugh.

So I don't get overwhelmed, I will try to write 1-2 original articles per week. I will fill in the other days with other dog or disability-related articles.

I don't normally need affirmations, but if you enjoy these articles, I'd really appreciate the comments. And remember, you can always ask me questions relating to disability, dogs, or dog training. No question is off limits.

Thanks for listening.
The WillaWoman



Filed under:

Comments

CoalWood said…
WillaWomen, Nice comments. I too struggle with my own blog entries about disability. After a while blogging I noticed that I would write entries that were meant as a complaint about a particular disability related issue, and I did not like what I saw myself saying. I created a new blog and started over writing not so much from an activists point of view, rather I relay issues as they happen in my daily life. Many entries I write have nothing about my disability, however most have some point that relates back. I don't like reading my own complaints, so I just write from the heart about issues I care about and let the reader conclude what they will.
AL Masters
http://criprevolution.blogspot.com

I will be adding a link to your blog. Thanks again and good luck.
Cathie said…
You are probably also helping others to cope with their disabilities, too.
Anonymous said…
Since I write a dog related blog, I have learned from your blog and enjoyed reading it. I hope you continue to write so that people can understand your perspective on life and realize the value of dogs to the quality of life in our world.

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!