Gee, you're a dumb ass

There are two comments people often say to me that I absolutely hate.

One is when I'm in a long line, let's say waiting to check-out of a store, and some one says: "Gee, you're lucky, you can sit down."

Dumb.

The second is when someone finds out I don't work and am on disability and they say: "Gee, you're lucky, you don't have to work."

Dummer.

But you know what's interesting? The only way I can make it through week after week living with a mobility disability, living with almost daily pain, and with unexplainable, unpredictable, and untreatable leg-muscle fatigue... is by realizing that yes, I am lucky.

I am lucky I don't have to work. I'm lucky that I have all the free time in the world to do things I enjoy rather than having to work.

I can avoid having to get up at the crack of dawn, putting on make-up and doing my hair, slogging through traffic, and dealing with corporate BS. I can spend my time (when I'm feeling well enough) writing music, playing with dogs and reptiles, learning new software, editing videos, and watching Dr. Phil.

Just don't tell any able-bodied folks this. They'll want in on the deal. Just don't tell them it's not that great of a trade-off.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Amazing how insensitive people can be, but I really think they are just insensitive and dumb and they don't realize that they are being hurtful.
Laura said…
Compliments to you for being honest about the idiocy of others, and for being above it.

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!