Never thought I'd be saying this, but...

... I now own a snake!

About 2 weeks ago I read an interesting article in Reptiles magazine about Rough Green snakes. I did my usual web research and got even more intrigued.

Then 2 days ago I put a post on my Herp Society forum asking my local herpers about this snake.

I get a reply from Timmy (head of the herp society) saying to CALL HIM. Then I get an email from Timmy saying CALL HIM (he's so demanding!).

I call.
I drive up to his house.

And now I'm the proud owner of a Rough Green Snake!!! That was fast!


Now here's the story behind the story:
About two years ago, Tim was on an outing releasing a clutch of baby Coral snakes. Of course, while out, he's on the look-out herping. He comes across four eggs that were just hatching, each with little tears in the eggs. He looks closer and they are little Rough Green snake hatchlings.

Of course, he takes them home. One of the four doesn't make it, but he's had the remaining three now for about two years.

Just a few weeks ago, one of the three gets attacked by his sibling. His head and neck (uh, how do you tell where the neck begins and ends on a snake anyway?) are down the throat of one of his siblings. Tim saves him in the nick (neck?) of time!

According to Tim, this little guy self-resuscitated and came back to life.

So, I decided to name him Jesus. (Jeezuz, Hey Zeus, Jay Z, what ever works for you!)

Oy.

I'll post pix of him soon! The above picture isn't mine, but it gives you an idea of what I have.


Filed under:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!