Look ma, no feet

I started using hand-controls to drive my car about 7 years ago. The difference they've made in my life is tremendous. And it didn't take me long to get used to using them either. You would think that 15 some-odd years of driving with my feet would make the transition to using hand-controls difficult. But it actually comes very naturally.

Using hand-controls to drive has made me much more independent. But I still have difficulty going on long drives, whether I'm doing the driving or someone else is.

I once asked my neurologist why this is. Why do my legs (and the rest of my body) get so tired if I'm just sitting on my butt in a car while someone else does all the work.

He explained to me that even though I think I'm just relaxing comfortably in a car seat, I'm actually using almost every muscle in my legs to maintain that upright position. I'm using my buttocks and thighs to keep from leaning around corners, and I'm most likely using my other leg muscles involuntarily to "air brake/gas".

Next time you're a passenger in a vehicle, pay attention to how hard your body is actually working to maintain it's position in the seat. Driving isn't just work for the driver, the passenger is working hard too.

For the average person, this physical activity is no big deal. But because my muscles are already compromised from defective motor nerves, it just wears me out. Even thought I'm just sitting on my ass.


Filed under:

Comments

Anonymous said…
THAT'S NOT YOU!

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!