While we were out...

...down in Houston at the zoo last weekend, one of my leopard geckos apparently made me a grandma!

We got home Saturday from the zoo, but I didn't notice anything weird until Sunday. I have a small tupperware container with perlite and moss that I keep moist for them to lay eggs in. I went to take it out to see how moist it was, and I noticed that most of the moss had been moved outside of this container. Weird.

Imagine my surprise when I opened up the container and saw 2 gecko eggs inside!

My first eggs! Ever! I didn't even notice any of the girls were preggers! (read: newbie breeder!)

I was so unprepared that I didn't have my incubator yet. I promptly ordered one (got it today), but in the meantime I moved the tupperware with the eggs over to the warmer side of the gecko's tank. The temperature is pretty regular and within temperature ranges over there, and I've kept an eye on it all week. I'm a little worried that the eggs were laid (lain? layeded?) on Friday and that it was too cool for a couple of days. We'll see.

What's interesting is that the male leopard seems to be "nesting" with the eggs! He hangs around the container and goes inside it a lot too. He seems to lay along the edge of the container (the eggs are in the middle) and he's just overall VERY interested in that container.

Dunno if he's incubating the eggs on his own or what, but it's been kewl to watch. Guess he'll have "empty nest" syndrome when I take the eggs out tonite to put them in the incubator.

Grandma WillaWoman!

PS. Happy Birthday, Jeanne Beannie!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!