Energy Conservation

I think one of the misconceptions people have when they see someone in a wheelchair is that the person can't walk. Even the Ms. Wheelchair contest administrators had this misconception.

Last year's Ms. Wheelchair contest winner Janeal Lee used a wheelchair, but she was also somewhat mobile and could walk at times. The administrators of this contest decided that, by walking, Janeal Lee was not conforming to their idea of what Ms. Wheelchair was all about. They stripped her of her Ms. Wheelchair title.

By stripping the reigning Ms. Wheelchair of her title because she was a wheelchair user that could also walk, the contest administrators perpetuated the misconception that all wheelchair users cannot walk.
Janeal Lee, who has muscular dystrophy and uses a scooter, was snapped by The Post-Crescent newspaper standing among her high school math students.

"I've been made to feel as if I can't represent the disabled citizens of Wisconsin because I'm not disabled enough," Lee said.
I've seen this misconception in my life too. I use a few different types of mobility aides... I use a manual wheelchair, a 3-wheeled scooter, a pair of arm crutches, a cane, and the trusty wall. But I find there's always a look of surprise when I'm sitting in my wheelchair and I tell someone I can walk around my home and don't always use my wheelchair.

I guess the question on their minds is "well, if she can walk at home, why doesn't she just act normal and walk around the mall?"

Because it's all about conservation and energy.

If I were ever to try to walk around the mall, two things would happen:
  1. My legs would quickly turn to rubber and everyone would think I was drunk.
  2. I would be left with no energy to drive home, ambulate around my house, play with my computer, watch TV, feed my pets, prepare a meal... etc...
Trying to walk that much would effectively wipe me out for 2-3 days, maybe more.

Therefore, I choose to not use my legs when I don't have to.

But there's another choice I make: I choose not to use my wheelchair in my house.

There have been a few times when this wasn't a choice, where I absolutely had to use the chair inside the house. And I hated it. Using the wheelchair in my house made me feel sicker. I feel like once I have to use my chair in the house, I'm passing that virtual point of no return where my mobility is concerned.

And, unfortunately, my house isn't very wheelchair accessible. My rugs have a thick pad and wheeling over them is very difficult, and my doorways are not wide enough.

So, it turns out that more work and more energy is expended using my chair in my home than it takes for me to actually walk around. And now I have the other choice of using my arm crutches when my legs are so bad I feel I need more help ambulating.


So, I guess the moral of the story is: when you see someone in a wheelchair, don't assume they cannot walk. Instead, realize that many of us use our wheelchairs so that we can enjoy life just like you do, so we can go on a shopping trip without making ourselves sicker.

Although it may seem like I'm choosing to use a wheelchair, I really have no choice at all if I want to live a full and active life. At least as active as I can be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!