Training Tip: Aggression in a new puppy

I just got off the phone with my bestest friend in Houston, Miss Kathy Lee! She rocks... we're a lot alike and a lot not alike, and we get along famously! (happy now, girl?!)

Anyway, she was frantic on this call. Her young neighbor just got a 3 month old puppy from the pound that was supposed to be a lab/terrier-mix but turns out to be a lab/chow-mix. And it seems to have all the bad traits of the chow, including aggression.

The pup has actually bitten her neighbor on the lip and has exhibited aggression towards her children.

Time for an immediate intervention by.... The WillaWoman!


Here's the advice I gave to Kathy Lee to give to her neighbor:
  • First, the dog is now considered to be "on probation".
  • Pack leadership MUST be established by the parents and then the kids.
  • Subordination Exercises MUST be started immediately.

Here's a couple of links for Subordination Exercises:
Here's a link to my favorite book for new (and old) puppy owners:

Here are some of my suggestions:
  • If dog does try to bite again, immediately do the subordination exercise: "Exercise 4 - Subordinate Position"
  • Keep dog away from kids for now
  • When dog is separated from kids, keep dog in crate
  • Go to Petsmart and have dog fitted for a PRONG Collar
  • How to fit a prong collar
  • If dog is around kids, have dog on Prong Collar and leash
  • Start Subordination Exercises right away
  • Find obedience class (Clicker Training is NOT appropriate for this type of dog!)
  • Get the Super Puppy book!

This is a difficult issue to deal with, especially for new dog owners with children in the house. Personally, I would put a time limit on this issue. If it wasn't resolved in a month, I would choose to remove the dog from the household. For the sake of the kids.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You betch !!! much happier now. After all how many times does your bestest friend come alllll the way from hellish Houston to visit?
Then, I read the kewelest part of the evening was:
Quote:
"The kewlest part of our visit was when Lara started giving dog training advice to another of my visitors."
Visitors for God sake! not bestest friend from Houston, just another visitor.
For me the kewlest part of the evening was meeting Legs, the whole entire body/man!!
Now that was KEWL.
Truthfully, I had a great time and I like that there is another home with massive dog people that play, bark, drool, shed and are well...... everywhere. Makes me feel at home.
Not to omit the lizards and the lovely willowy Lisa & luscious legs.
Both are the bomb. Wish I lived closer.
Thanks for responding to the late night caller in a panic, the links and advice. I talked to the neighbor as soon as I hung up the phone.
I'll keep you posted.
Hope today, tomorrow & all the days to come are FRG days!!
Love from your bestest!
The WillaWoman said…
You crack me up!

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!