Learn A Lesson From The Chimps

An older male [chimpanzee] named McGregor was paralyzed from the waist down and dragged himself around the camp using his arms.

Jane Goodall writes in In The Shadow Of Man: "One of the most tragic things about the whole tragic affair was the reaction of the chimps to the stricken paralyzed male."

McGregor was menaced by the male chimps and was beaten by one of them. Others kept well away from him. Goodall watched a group of chimps grooming each other in a tree, grooming being the primary means of chimp socialization.

She writes that McGregor "dragged himself from his nest... and in short stages began the long journey to join the others. When at last he reached the tree... he pulled himself up until he was close to two grooming males. With a loud grunt of pleasure he reached a hand toward them in greeting. But even before he made contact they both had swung quickly away and without a backward glance started grooming on the far side of the tree.

For a full two minutes old McGregor sat motionless, staring after them. And then he laboriously lowered himself to the ground. As I watched him sitting there alone... and when I looked up at the groomers in the tree, I came nearer to hating a chimpanzee then I ever been before or since."

While living in Vermont, I had a similar experience. I was shopping along Church Street in Burlington, a wonderful outdoor marketplace that I loved going to.

At the time I was contemplating cutting my hair short, so I was always looking for ideas of what style I'd like to go for. That day, I saw a young woman with her husband and baby and the woman had THE haircut I wanted.

I wheeled up to the woman to ask her where she got her hair cut.

The look on the woman's face was one of complete fear.

I quickly asked my question, found out she wasn't a local, and rolled on.

What was she so afraid of? Was she afraid I was contagious? Or that I was some kind of handicapped baby-napper? Was she afraid I was some blonde floozy and that I was gonna steal her hubby from her? What??

I guess I'll never know. But I don't think this was an uncommon reaction from an able-bodied person. In fact, I've experenced it numerous times since. I think these types of reactions tend to stem from ignorance, upbringing, geography and exposure.

Hey able-bodies, do me a fave? Make sure your children and grandchildren don't grow up to be afraid of disabled people.

Thanks.



Comments

Lana said…
I see so much of that going on. It's a shame you are just like the rest of us.
Just in a wheel chair.
Some people don't like when others are differant from them selfs.

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!