Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Come in and shop

I didn't mean yesterday's post to be as snippy as it sounded. I guess I was just trying to relate to others how difficult life can be for someone in a wheelchair.

I'm very fortunate. I now live in the warm (well, usually) south. But I didn't always live here. We moved down from Vermont about 8 years ago.

Life in Vermont for the wheelchair user was very difficult. Not just the harsh, long winters. A lot of Burlington VT, where we live a good part of the time, was inaccessible.

Burlington has this wonderful closed street called The Church Street Marketplace. There they have these great eclectic stores and restaurants with items and food that you won't find anywhere else.

But because these Church Street stores were built many moons ago, way before the American's with Disabilities Act of 1991 was enacted, most of the stores are not accessible. "One step up", as we say, is NOT accessible.

Legally, they are not required to make any access changes to their businesses. And most don't. But, because it was Vermont, most shop owners found another way to accommodate me.

When I'd arrive at some of these shops, I'd wait outside the door. Soon, two burly men would come outside and lift me and my wheelchair up and into the store!

Now, for some people this would be embarrassing and humiliating. Not for me. I like to shop, and I was very happy I could gain access to these wonderful stores.

My advice: try not to be embarrassed if this access option is ever offered to you. Just smile, say "Cool, Thanks!" and go along for the ride.

There are still so many places in the U.S. of A. that are old and inaccessible. Don't miss out on them because you don't want to feel like a freak being lifted up. Instead, be patient, someday things will change. And be nice to the people who offer help... your karma will be enormous!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!