WillaWoman, Get Yer Gun

So, yeah, like I shot a gun yesterday. But this story didn't begin yesterday, it began a few weeks ago at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Expo.

While wheeling around the Expo, I could hear gunshots going off. I knew there were a lot of different demonstrations going on, so I thought I must be hearing a demo for hunting or the NRA or something. I soon found out that there was an area setup where anyone could try shooting at skeet. I had to try it!

First, I had to go over to a table for the "orientation". This was a joke. The "orientation" consisted of two underwhelmingly-in-shape men handing me a 2x4 card with the "rules" printed on it. Stuff like "don't point the gun at anyone", "don't hit anyone with the gun", "don't steal the gun"... stuff like that. I had to read the rules and then get a stamp on my hand. I guess at that point I was legal.

Then I went over the to skeet range. The instructor was a little concerned because he had never had someone in a wheelchair shoot before. He was concerned (ok, so was I) that the recoil would flip me over bass-ackwards. I still wanted to try... heck, I've flipped my own ass over before and survived.

Long story short, I shot 3 out of 5 skeet. Kick ASS! Oh, and dem guns are heavy. Man oh man.


What does all this mean? It means that I just found something I CAN do. My mantra in life, since becoming disabled, has always been instead of lamenting about all the things I can no longer do, I should find new things I CAN do. And I don't know what I CAN until I try it.

So, I tried to shoot skeet. And found out I COULD do it. Kewl!

Yesterday, I went with my neighbor friend Michele to the firing range...

To Be Continued.


Why "continued" you ask... Because I'm DAMN tired today from going to the freakin' firing range yesterday! Therefore, you must wait. So there.

Don't bother me, I know how to shoot a gun now.


Comments

Anonymous said…
WhooHoo! Sounds like you had fun on the range (sorry about the pun, it wasn't intentional- at first). I grew up in Texas- my father taught me how to shoot when I was 12. I can use a whip and a lasso, too, but neither of them work for snakes. God Bless... Bree

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!