I've Got No Choice, But That's OK

Remember I said I'd fired a shotgun a few weeks ago... skeet shooting? And that I enjoyed it? Well, since then, I've been going to the local firing range and target shooting! And still enjoying it!

So far I've shot a 9mm pistol, and a Ruger .22. And today, I actually ordered my own handgun! The rental guns are very dirty and have a tendency to jam a lot. Plus, when I go to the range with my shooting buddy Michele, we fight over the pretty red .22!

But all this fun has a downside too. Here's an activity that I've found I can do, one that I'm actually good at, but I have no choice in the matter... I cannot work a dog.

I simply cannot take a dog to a firing range because it would be damaging to their hearing. It's one thing to train a hunting dog... that's done outdoors and you build up the sound with starter pistols and small caliber guns before getting to the big stuff. But an indoor firing range is louder, very echoy, and some folks are using high-powered rifles that literally sound like cannons. Us humans can wear strong ear protection, but dogs cannot.

So far, leaving both service dogs home (and Barney, of course) has worked out well. I leave them all with peanut butter bones and they don't seem stressed when I get home. I miss having a dog with me though. It's weird for me to go out by myself without a dog by my side. But I'm finding that target shooting is a great activity for me. It gets me out of the house, it's a somewhat social activity, gives me something to look forward to, and gives me something I can try to improve and excel at.

If you've got the arm-strength and have no compunctions against guns, it's a great sporty activity! Just make sure to take a gun safety course and remember, guns are very powerful entities to be taken very seriously. Once you've fired one, this realization hits home.

Oh, and don't forget to lock your wheelchair wheels so you don't flip over bass-ackwards!




Comments

Anonymous said…
You are so cool!
Anonymous said…
Thats how I feel with Jack...I leave him for even a few hours to go to class and miss him tons.

I think thats why so many people jump at the chance to bring their dogs with them to places like Petsmart (cause we CAN) Though some should still leave them at home!

Jack misses you and your boys.
GeekBrit said…
Ok, I completely lost it when I read about locking your wheelchair wheels - too funny!

Great blog - I'm enjoying your writing immensely :)

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!