Winter, Spring, Summer and Falling

When I'm in my home, I tend not to use my cane.

Frankly, I hate the thing. Not because it makes me look like the crip I really am, heck...I'm home alone with just me, dogs, and reptiles. I hate it because I put it down and forget it. Or I can't find a spot to put it down without it falling over and smacking the floor, thus scaring me, dogs, and reptiles.

So at home, I'm what's known as a "wall hugger". I keep my hand on a stable surface most of the time, either that or I try to be aware of my surroundings and keep in mind what I can grab if I start losing my balance.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work all the time. Before I was disabled, I was a klutz. Now, I'm a Bona-Fide-Accident-Waiting-To-Happen.

I have had instances where I've lost my balance, reached out my hand to grab something to stop my fall, and missed. Down I go. I have the bruises to prove it.

This is why I ALWAYS use my cane around family and friends. I haven't fallen in front of anyone yet, and I want to keep my perfect track record. So far, I've only fallen in front of me, dogs, and reptiles.

I have had a few close calls. I once had to grab onto my friend Thorne because I was on the verge of falling. I don't think he realized it, and that's a good thing.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal for me. I think it's because I don't want to show this outward example of my true crip-dom. To have a fall in front of someone, even the hubby, would be mortifying. I don't embarrass easily... just ask my friends who threw me a surprise birthday party and hired a clown...that turned out to be a stripper. Not embarrassed. Even when he cleaned my glasses with his thong... while he was wearing it... I wasn't embarrassed.

But a fall would be a total drag.

Luckily, I don't get embarrassed falling in front of me, dogs, and reptiles. They love me standing, sitting, or falling on my butt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!