Breed Difference Makes All The Difference

I am certainly willing to admit right here and now that I do NOT know everything about dog training. In fact, I consider myself a junior apprentice, still learning, still experimenting, still reading, and still evolving.

Yesterday, I heard from my dog training mentor and she had read my blog post about Jack, the Boston Terrier, barking at the shaker can. She's way more knowledgeable about breed differences...stuff I'm still learning about. She had some thoughts about things to try with him, all related to the fact that he's a terrier breed.

As a terrier, he has a very high Independent Problem Solving aptitude. Terriers don't just say "no", they ask "why"! Because of this, and because of their size, terriers that display what Jack's displaying with the shaker can need to be taught who's boss.

When he barks like he's been doing, it shows defiance and that he's vying for alpha position with you. He needs swift disciplinary action.

First thing, don't use the shaker can. It's not needed for this.

If you say "NO" and he barks at you, immediately do the following:
  • Quickly go over to him (never call a dog to you to discipline)
  • Grab him by the scruff of the neck
  • Using the scruff, pick his front feet up off of the ground. Leave the back feet on the ground
  • Lean over him in a dominant position and really get in his face
  • Shake him by the scruff
  • At the same time, give him your nastiest, growliest, loudest "NOOOOOOO"!!!!!!!

This is all what the pack leader would do.


The reason I had not suggested this method originally is because I found it did not work with Frankie (who also has high independent problem solving skills, but is not a terrier). Frankie would take the above treatment as a fun wrestling game and get very riled up.

Good luck with this. Give me an update when you can!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Please dont ever encourage anyone to use physical abuse to train your Boston Terrier who is boss. Your information is cruel and inaccurate. I would have assumed that you would be a bit hipper to proven humane methods such as the experience I had with a trainer from Barkbusters.
The WillaWoman said…
Simply put, there isn't one training method that works on all dogs. This method happens to be one method that worked on my dogs.

This method didn't describe "abuse" in any way. It's a simple method of training that is present in any dog pack. It's the way the pack leader establishes dominance within the pack.

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!