My Shoulders Have No CHiPs

Even though I have yet to meet (in person) someone else with a working dog, I have "met" folks online. Since the beginning days of training my first dog, I've been a member of a few Service Dog newsgroups and have read stories posted by people working and training their own Service Dogs.

One recurring theme on these newsgroups is denial of access. This is an issue that I've experienced very few times, and I've NEVER been on the losing side of these denials. I've always been able to quietly talk to the person(s) denying me access, explain the law and gain access.


My theories on why I've never had a major problem with access:
  • Even though not all states require it, my dog is "dressed" for work. Harness, vest, collar and lead. On the vest are two patches, one stating that the dog is a service dog, the other asking that people please don't pet.
  • I approach every business as if I belong there.
  • I am knowledgeable about the laws and my rights and can verbalize them.
  • If a confrontation arises, I take the person to the side and quietly speak to them about the laws. I show them my small law book if needed.
  • I am very open and friendly to people. I'm not looking for a fight.
  • Even though, legally, I don't have to answer questions about what my dog does for me, how long I've had him, I am always open to educate anyone who wants to know.
  • Even though my disability is "visible", when my hubby does training, he does all of the above stuff also, and has had no major access problems.

I don't do the following:
  • I don't bring my sdog somewhere "naked" just because I can in certain states.
  • I don't bring my sdog somewhere when he's dirty, smelly, or sick, just because I can.
  • I don't ignore someone saying "hey, you can't bring that dog in here", just because I can.
  • I don't get upset if my access is challenged. Instead, I educate.
  • I don't get upset when people are staring.
  • I don't have a chip on my shoulder about access.
  • I don't get intimidated by "the powers that be" trying to deny me access because I know my rights.

I do realize that Service Dogs are still an unknown entity to a lot of people. And those people are sometimes business owners. I'm aware that I can act as an educator on the subjects of disability, Service Dogs, and access. And I'm always ready to step up to the job, even if it takes away from my own time.

That's just me, but it works.



Comments

Anonymous said…
how often do you have to explain the access laws for service dogs? it's a shame that there are that many ignorant businesses out there :(

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!