More answers fer ya and a question for the Dudes

QUESTION: zandperl said... I've heard that "ordinary" people wouldn't be able to stand a day of using a wheelchair because of the callouses you need on your hands. How long did it take you to get used to using a wheel chair? If you've used one all your life, maybe you could say how long it takes others if you know.

ANSWER: It wasn't the calluses for me, I've always used 1/2 finger mesh gloves with padding on the palm. They are very helpful, especially with braking. The things I had to get used to were dirty hands (carry wet naps), and arm and back strain. Arms were never meant to be legs.

The two things that helped me were instructions on proper wheelchair usage (from a physical therapist) and losing weight. Oh, and the third thing: my Wheelchair Service Dogs!


QUESTION: Stormwind said... I'm glad that your self esteem isn't tied up in your form of mobility. Do you think there is a difference in how males handle that versus females in a 'not from birth' situation? And/Or do you think that is all tied into socialization and the strengths developed from youth?

ANSWER: That's a hard question to answer since I'm not a dude! I think each sex may have their own inherent difficulties. Guys may feel a loss of machismo, especially since they're now way shorter than everyone else. Women may lose a sense of femininity, especially since now their hands and clothing are always dirty from dirty wheels.

I didn't experience this myself, again because of my strong self esteem. I adjusted and made the wheelchair part of me. Everyone used to know me as the tall blonde chick who played a mean guitar. Now they know me as the crip in the chair with the dog, who still plays a mean guitar!

Dudes, what's been your experience, as a dude, being in a wheelchair?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't help with the "male" question, since I'm not in a wheelchair, but my mother has spent pretty much her entire life on crutches (polio), so I have some idea of what life can be like. Just wanted to say that I wish this sort of blog had been available as an inspiration to her while she was growing up.
Jamie Dawn said…
You have such an uplifting and interesting blog.
Thanks for visiting my MIL's blog.
This idea of answering questions is such a great thing. You tackle life head on! You rock!

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!