Howze That Workin' For Ya?

QUESTION:
LL asks..... Ok...I am soo annoyed right now.

Jack has decided that the shaker can is a toy. And when I say NO he just barks back at me. I am so annoyed. He is being REALLY stubborn.

The potty thing has gotten MUCH better, and he is actually going to the door when he wants to go out. But he is being a royal pain in the ass when he decides he wants to bark at me. Its like a bark where he seems to be talking to me. Like one bark...look at me...bark....look at me...growlish bark...look at me.

All the while I am saying 'no bark' and if a can is near...It's just making it worse it seems. I think to him when I say 'no barking' its like I'm talking back to him, and he responds. So I've tried completely ignoring him. And then he started nipping my feet to get my attention. As if the barking I can't hear.

Can you tell I'm annoyed???



ANSWER:

Ok, you are dealing with a similar issue I have with Frankie, so I think I can help!

When Jack barks at you like that, he's challenging you. Just like a 4 year old that says "no" all the time, and "I don't wanna".

So, here's what you do: When he barks like that at you, you are going to COMPLETELY IGNORE HIM.

For example:
  • He does the "bad thing" you don't want him to do.
  • You shake the can and/or say "no" or "leave it".
  • He challenge barks at you.
  • You turn your back on him, cross your arms, and stare at the wall.
  • He may continue to do something to get your attention (he sounds like Frankie, where any attention is "good", even discipline. Oy!) . Walk away from him and continue to ignore him.
  • If he follows and does something good, then pay attention to him and give him praise.
  • Then do something to distract the bad behavior, something you KNOW he loves and will do anything for it. In Jack's case, it's the ball. Play ball with him and praise that good behavior.

We have this problem with Frankie and making the bed. He likes to jump on the bed as we're making it. He'll crouch down and do a short "woof" at us. At first, we tried yelling at him "get off the bed", but he would just get more riled up to play.

So now I just leave the bed 1/2 made, and walk out of the room. He jumps off the bed and follows me out. I go back in, close the door behind me, and finish the bed. Problem solved.


Let me know how this all works out for ya!


Comments

Anonymous said…
I have now figured out...he DOES do it for attention.

whenever I'm on the phone...watching tv...typing this right now...he gets jealous i think.

eeek.

we are working on it.

ll

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!