How To Deal

If you want to be friends with a crip, here's a few things you should know (this is pertaining to my specifics, ie. wheelchair, dog, fatigue...):


  • I take a long time to get ready to go out somewhere. Kind of like taking a non-housebroken toddler (they say that about kids, right?) to the mall. I have a lot of paraphernalia I have to deal with. Dog, harness, collar, wheelchair, pad, water, purse, cane...
  • You should like dogs.
  • You're gonna get dog hair in your car and house, and on your clothes.
  • Strangers ask me lots of questions. Sometimes personal. They may ask you questions too.
  • We'll be the center of attention. We will NOT blend in.
  • I may get challenged for access or run into accessibility problems. I do speak up and I do fight for my rights.
  • There are no "quick" shopping trips.
  • Once we get to our destination, I take a while getting setup. Just stay in the car and wait. I don't usually need help and go faster without someone hovering over me. I have a system!
  • You might get discounts or other benefits by hanging out with me. Sometimes I get moved to the front of the line, especially at theme parks. And I get to ride the attraction twice. Invite me to Six Flags! (But there are some rides I can't get onto.)
  • My dog potties too. Outside.
  • My dog also farts and sniffs people. Get used to it.
  • Some people are afraid of dogs. Even Service Dogs.
  • My dog may pull me faster or slower than your pace. Adapt.
  • I get tired quickly.
  • I have more bad days than good. I may cancel or have to say "no" to lots of things, but PLEASE keep inviting me!
  • I usually only go to one store per outing. I don't go to the mall, then to the grocery, then to lunch.
  • I occasionally have to sleep longer in the morning or take naps in the afternoon. Call anyway, I'll just let the machine pick up.
  • But DON'T CALL BEFORE 10am!
  • Don't just "stop over". Always call first. Even if you're sitting in my driveway.
  • I always have to consider the health and welfare me AND my dog.
  • Outdoor activities are difficult for me and my dog. Heat, extra water, Stupid People With Intact Pit Bulls On Flexi Leashes -- these are all factors I have to consider.
  • Learn to "scope out" accessibility where ever you go for future outings.
  • If you're planning an event or want to take me someplace new, make sure location is accessible. Just One Step Up is NOT accessible, even though you know I can walk with my cane.

Remember: the best way to be a crip's friend is to just "roll with it" (pun intended). Just ask if you have a question and pay attention to access.

There are NO Stupid Questions, only ignorant shop owners.

-----------------------------------
Disclaimer: These are The WillaWoman's issues. Some may pertain to your crip friend(s), or they may have their own issues to deal with. Ask them.


Hey, let me ask too! CRIPS: What are your specific issues you want others to know about?

Comments

dissok said…
A house is not a house, and a car is not a car without heaps of dog hair everywhere. :)

BTW, I like your blog's new look. (Please tell me that you have updated the look and I am not just imagining it. LOL)
The WillaWoman said…
Oh, I def updated the look... took me days of trial and error!

Thanks for the compliment!
Murphy Jacobs said…
I'm not crip-qualified and my cats outnumber my dog 6 to 1 (but she's bigger). I'm enjoying reading your information and comments. My husband and I donate to a "Kids-n-Canines" program, where at-risk teens train service dogs, which is how I first learned about them.

I have a question/comment about the "please stand" thing. The friends I have in wheel/power chairs usually complain about stiff necks leaning back to talk with me (I'm on the tall side). Because I have my own lower back/hip problems, I can't stand still for very long, (and I definately can not stand bent over, so that's no problem) but I can crouch, kneel or just sit on the floor (I have no shame and I don't own white pants) pretty easily if we could not move somewhere there were chairs.

It always seemed a good compromise. I had no idea that some might consider it insulting. If I do get involved in a "standing" conversation with someone in a chair who does't know me well, do I need to explain that my kneeling/sitting has more to do with me than with them, or should I just skip an explanation that might be considered patronizing?

Secondary question -- I do art shows where I sell hand made jewelry. It is usually displayed in such a way as to make customers handling it without assistance difficult(to prevent theft and damage). Very often I help a customer try on a piece by fastening a bracelet or necklace, helping with a tight ring, or holding the mirror while they try on earrings. It occurs to me that someone in a wheelchair might be more sensitive to such "assistance", even though the wheelchair has nothing to do with the situation (in fact, I think I've run into that a time or two). Again, should I refrain from explaining so as not to appear patronizing and just conduct myself as usual, or is there some more graceful way you could suggest to handle this situation?
Conners said…
I have many disabilities, but don't need a dog to help me...just love and comfort me. THAT she does very WELL and I don't know what I would do without her.
Because of her, she gave me back a will to fight back. Basically, she gave me back my life.
I wanted to give back to the community, now that I received my spirit back, and surprisingly, my health (or at least spirit) rose to become a new me.
I was just getting her and I ready for the St. John Ambulance Course, when WHAMMO! They pulled the plug on (so called Pit bulls) due to the Ontario Pit bull Ban. Shasta is a Staffordshire and EXCELLENT with people. Especially the smiles she would have brought to the seniors and the termanally sick kids. I was sooo disappointed, but some how Shasta and I will help others. I just don't know quite how yet.
Your dogs are BEAUTIFUL! They may require work, but isn't unconditional love worth it!
I love your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!