Crouching Tiger

Today's a poopy day for me, so I'm gonna post 2 recent comments. One is the question, and then a nice blog visitor provided an excellent answer!


QUESTION: Alison Ashwell said...Is it a good idea for a standing person to crouch down when speaking to someone in a wheelchair or should they just bend over. I suppose it is maybe individual though I'm asking because i have tried both approaches when i worked in retail [while i was at college] and i'm not sure if i unadvertantly offended some people. I have of course worried over it since then.


ANSWER: Wilena said...Willa glad you stopped by my blog and introduced yourself suggested by my daugher-in-law (JamieDawn). I have had to use a power chair for about a year now.

In answer to Allison's question "should you crouch down to talk to someone in a wheelchair".

Allison if you see someone sitting at a table and go over to talk to them, do you crouch down to talk to them. No, you would stand up straight and have your conversation and that's the same with us, you just talk to us like you would any one else.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Now I'm not sure what to do. I always crouch to be at eye level when I'm talking to someone at a table, a kid, or a patient who's stuck in bed. I HATE having to crick my neck if someone - especially someone who's in power (e.g. a doc, when I'm in the OR) -starts talking down at me. It's worse because I'm incredibly near sighted, so I don't feel like I can talk to someone at that angle and know what the heck they're thinking. So am I being condescending to everyone? or should I just keep doing what I've always done? Thanks! ina

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!