Training Tip #3: Tip Jar Full of Tips

I had some very nice visitors the other day (hi Lara and Jack!). Jack is a 5 month old Boston Terrier and he's doing so well!

I realized after they left that I had vomited mucho information about dog training tips to Lara and I hope I didn't overwhelm her (did I?) . So I thought I'd post a list here of some of the things we talked about:

  • Jack Come, Jack Heel... Jack Off???

Lara was using Jack's name along with most other commands. One of those commands, the "off" command, was becoming embarrassing. Oy. Anyway, I suggested she use his name only for the "come" command (Jack, Come) and the "heel" command (Jack, Heel). All other commands should be used by themselves (sit, down, stay, off....).

  • Knee bone's Connected to the... Butt Bone

This one was fun cause Jack is so short! I demo'd to Lara how to get Jack's little butt down to the ground when he was not sitting on command. I scooped my hand over his bum and then drew the side of my hand into his "knees". This bent his knees and he had no choice but to sit down.

  • The "P"

When Lara came over, Jack was wearing his travel harness. I gave Lara a choke chain collar that would fit over Jack's big head and showed her how it should be put on. As you hold the chain and loop before putting it over the head, it should form the shape of the letter "P". Here's 2 great articles:

TRAINING EQUIPMENT FOR YOUR PUPPY OR DOG
Proper Use Of The Slip Collar

  • Failure is Not an Option

At one point, Lara wanted to show me Jack's sit and down. At the time, Jack was jumping up on her legs and she was saying "Jack, Sit. Jack, Sit". I explained to her that in order for Jack to sit, he would have to mentally process an "off" command on his own and then the "sit" command. She needed to command "off" and then "sit", and both commands without using his name.
This is just one example where you could inadvertently set the dog up for failure.

  • Don't Reward Unwanted Behavior

There was another time when Jack was jumping up on Lara and she reached down to pick him up. I suggested that if she wants to pick him up, she should require that he sit first. At that moment, Jack was asking to be picked up and he needed to know that jumping on her was not the way to accomplish it. This would help prevent him from also jumping up on others.

  • Nothing in Life is Free

The above situation falls into this category. Jack needed to learn that in order to get what he wanted, he needed to perform a "good behavior". If at times Lara wanted to pick him up on her own, she needed to have him sit for it.

Here's an awesome article: Nothing In Life Is Free

  • Training Opportunities Are Everywhere

This falls in line with Nothing in Life is Free. I get a lot of complaints from dog owners that they don't have the time to train their dogs. What they don't realize is that the time they do spend feeding, walking, and even just petting the dog are perfect opportunities to train. See the article
above for more examples.

  • No Balls for You

Jack was exhibiting some mounting and dominant behaviors while he was at my house. Since I'm of the school of thought for service dogs, I always suggest that early neutering is best. Eliminating undesirable behavior is the most common reason for neutering males. Male specific activities such as urine marking, mounting and inter-male aggression are markedly reduced or eliminated in 50-60% of dogs as a result of neutering.

Behavior patterns common in both males and females, such as watchdog barking, playfulness and attention seeking are not affected by neutering. No basic personality or behavioral changes occur as a result of neutering...except the less desirable male habits which may be eliminated or at least reduced. Male dogs and cats that are neutered before puberty (prior to 5-7 months of age) usually will not develop undesirable behavior.

Lara, if you can find the money, the sooner the better. Waiting a month is quite a long time in a puppy's development.

  • Test your dog's adaptive intelligence: The Test


  • One command, Two command, Do command

How many times have we all done this... "sit... Sit.... SIT SIT SIT!!!" My philosophy: Say is once, say it twice, Do It. In other words, "sit"... no sit. "Sit"... no sit. Make the dog sit. "Good Sit". (See the above "Sit assist with hand to knees ".)

  • Sterilize Schmerilize

This didn't come up while Lara and Jack were visiting, but I wanted to address the topic here. If your puppy has an accident in the house, you can't just simply wipe it up. You have to sterilize the area. If you don't, the dog, with it's heightened sense of smell, will think "hey, I pee'd here before...must be where I'm supposed to pee"!


That's it for today!

Comments

Anonymous said…
THANKS!

This will help me so much because I already had forgotten some things!

I am slowly breaking the habit of saying Jack before every command. :)

'Next Month' for me is June 6th. Thats when i get money. I am going to make the vet appt. for soon after that! Jacks balls are coming off!

You would have been proud of Jack this weekend. He was a well behaved boy at my cousin's wedding 'weekend'.

-Lara

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!