Is That A Seeing Eye Dog?

Yes. Ok? Yes. There are some days when I just feel like saying "yes" and moving on to go about my business. But I realize that it's irresponsible to do that. I've always felt the need to be an educator, and hopefully it helps those who come after me.

I've found over the years of working a service dog that people seem to only know one kind of working dog: Seeing Eye Dog. This is fine if they're willing to listen to an explanation that this is not a seeing eye dog, but a Wheelchair Service Dog. And that there are many other types of working dogs: hearing alert, seizure alert, mobility assistance (not always in a wheelchair)...

Service Dogs assist people with a disability and that disability isn't always blindness. They can retrieve dropped items, pull wheelchairs, assist in balance, alert for seizures, alert for ringing phones/doorbells, and I'm sure I've missed much more.

My dog's main jobs are: retrieval, pull my wheelchair, and stability (and kisses!).

Some of the specific things they do are: help me get up off the floor/toilet/chair, retrieve anything I either ask for or point to with a laser pointer (remote, shoe, fork, keys...), help with laundry on occasion (picking up what I've dropped). I'll add more here when I remember them.

So, today was one of those days. Both Rick and I went out with Frankie and Willie to a Target. A door-greeter asked "are those seeing eye dogs" and I said "yes" and rolled on. So now I have the guilt. Guess I'll have to go back sometime on a better day and have a chat with someone in Target.

We all have our good days and bad and that's OK. Unfortunately, when you work a Service Dog, you will almost always be the center of attention. Sometimes that's enough to bring me out of a funk (hey, I am an attention hog!), but other days I just wanna roll on.

I'd love some comments here on what jobs your Service Dog does for you.
Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!