Training Tip #1: The Shaker Can

The shaker can is an empty soda can with a few pennies inside. You can tape the top if you need to, just don't use too much tape or you will dull the sound.

I use this can for a few applications: unwanted barking, critical "leave it" items


UNWANTED BARKING
Granted, all dogs bark. A lot of us appreciate the guard-dog in our pups, even if it is just barking at the UPS guy. But unwanted barking is a nuisance, for us and our neighbors. This traning technique can actually be used for training a neighbor's dog to stop barking.

THE STEPS:
  • Unwanted barking occurs
  • Shake the can hard and yell "NO BARKING!!"
  • When barking stops, praise the dog
Pretty simple, eh? I've used this to train my neighbors's dogs thru the privacy fence. They can't see me and I can't see them, but I can sure hear them. I have a neighbor that leaves their dog out all day, rain or shine, hot (Texas hot) or cold.

To train the neighbor's dog, if you have a non-see-thru-type fence, make a slight change when first starting this trainng:
  • Unwanted barking occurs
  • Throw can at fence, HARD
  • Yell "NO BARKING" but time it with when the can hits the fence
  • Keep quiet, don't let the dog know you're there
If the dog can see you, try doing the first method from an open window or from behind a tree. Leave off the praise though.

LEAVE IT
This method also works for the "leave it" command. I ONLY use it for "leave its" that I feel are critical though.

Examples:
  • Agression (I carry a can on my scooter)
  • Jumping up on others
  • Eating something possibly dangerous or gross (like cat poop)

Remember, always associate a command with the can shake. Eventually, you can use just the command or just a small shake of a can if handy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workers free dog trapped in sewer pipe

Axe Me A Question

Here Doggie!